GAP (Gap Adventure Plus) is the A+ training Year designed to equip you for adventure activity leadership with young people and adults in the beauty of the great outdoors.
Our Gap year is really special as it will help you with four key elements of experience and personal growth:
- Discipleship: Grow in your relationship with God and develop skills in encouraging others
- Training: Gain nationally recognised Adventure Training Qualifications
- Instructor: Help coach adventure activities to over 7,000 children and young people each year
- Leadership: Grow in self confidence as you become aware of your strengths and qualities
All set against the background of our ‘SELL’ theme:
Serve: Serving each other on the team, as we work together to serve the children and youth in our care.
Excellence: Aiming to be the best in all we do within the team, with guests and in our private lives.
Leadership: Qualities of a Leader and a team member (followership) are similar and central.
Love: Be part of a culture of Love: for God, all people, His created world… and know we are greatly loved.
The year runs from September to end of August, or January to end of August.
The initial focus is on building the team and learning skills, so be prepared to embrace lots of training in the first few months in Fencing, Archery, Canoeing, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Climbing, Circus Skills, Team Building, Low Ropes, Safeguarding and First Aid.
Some are A+ in-house awards and some are nationally recognised qualifications.
You will start by assisting our trained instructors as they run sessions in local schools and Adventure Clubs. As your year develops, and you grow in experience, you will be invited to join the team for larger events with greater responsibilities .
Our weekly discipleship training workshops cover issues including:
- What we believe and why we believe it
- Biblical models of leadership and how we can learn from them
- How the majesty & beauty of the world around us speaks to us of the Creator God
- The power of adventure youth work to encourage those that need it most
- How to keep our faith alive, fresh and real
These will help you grow in knowledge and your Christian walk through discussion, presentations and opportunities for practical application of your skills at work, at home and in local churches.
You will be encouraged in your personal and spiritual development as you become a valued member of our team and part of the daily mission of A+.
There are also opportunities to put your skills into practice on GAP trips and expeditions, and as leaders on our Total Adventure holidays during your year.
Throughout the year you will be working as a team on themes and creative ideas for our Easter and Summer Total Adventure weeks; and it is always great to see how plans made in the winter months shape up when the campers are with us. The encouragement definitely comes full circle as all that creative energy and hard work earlier in the year comes to life and we see young people encouraged by the Good News we are here to celebrate.
Accommodation is provided in our staff houses, where you will live in community with other GAP team members and interns and you receive a monthly contribution to food costs, which definitely works better if you team up and cook together.
Why is GAP the Adventure Gap year for you?
- It’s a year full of Adventure Training and discipleship
- You’ll love being part of a dynamic Christian team
- You’ll get qualified to lead a range of adventure activities
- Those skills will be with you for the rest of your life
- It’s a great team environment in which to grow in your Christian faith and your walk with God
- Be a valued team member and part the daily mission of A+ and all that is developing here.
We are taking applications for September 2021
Places are limited to six at each intake, so apply soon.
The price for the year includes accommodation, expenses, a contribution towards food costs and a kit allowance to purchase activity equipment throughout the year.
The training you will receive, the experience you will gain, the friends you will make and the amazing memories you will create makes this a life changing opportunity not to miss!
For current prices and more information on how to get involved, please contact our GAP Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Many choose to stay for a second year and enrol in GAP Plus – that’s how great it is!
GAP Plus is an opportunity to remain part of the A+ team for a second year at a reduced rate, continue to receive training towards higher levels of outdoor leadership and qualifications and experience, be trusted with greater responsibilities on sessions and in the everyday working of A+.
For a growing number, successful completion of this second year has led to full time employment with A+.
How to join the Gap year
Please contact Graham, our GAP Coordinator by emailing email@example.com